Thursday, October 8, 2009

Love is in the air...

This time of year always makes me in a great mood. I love how my eyes are slowly stimulated by the leaves changing their color from green to red, yellow and orange. I love how this weather always makes me want to turn the fireplace on and cuddle up with a good book in my hand. These days, I have all the time in the world to read a good book. (That reminds me, if you guys are reading this and have a book in mind, feel free to recommend a few to me). But the reason I love this time of year is because of the MLB playoffs.



From left to right: my Uncle Rudy and my dad, Robert

You see, I've played softball since I was 10 years old. It is truly one of my great achievements in life. I've always loved the Yankees, however, I grew up going to Rangers games with my dad. He would ask me, on occasion before heading off to school, if I felt like being sick--that was code for, "Do you want to go to a Ranger game today?" So like a good daughter, I would always reply with a "Yes sir!" So when 2 o'clock came along and the phone rang inside my classroom, I knew it was for me. When the teacher said that my dad has come to pick me up, my classmates had asked where I was going. I smirked and said that I was on my way to see "Dr. Pudge Rodriguez" and "Dr. Rusty Greer." I know the Ballpark in Arlington like the back of my hand.


my friend, Cathy

I still enjoy going to see them play. This year, I bought a booklet worth $700 of ticket vouchers for only $40! I must have gone to 10 games this year. I loved going to the ballpark this year because I got to see Omar Vizquel, firsthand. He is hands down, one of the greatest, overlooked shortstops that baseball has ever seen. I grew up watching this guy play for the Mariners and the Indians--I tried mimicking his moves when I played ball. The Rangers had a great run until they screwed it all up by losing too many games at the end of the season--but I am hopeful for next year. I like the Rangers only because they are the closest team to home, but I absolutely love the Yankees. And by the way, I always root for the Yankees when they play the Rangers. I can't help how I feel about the Bronx Bombers. My uncle told me when I was nine that I should love the team in the striped uniforms. Without knowing what they had achieved, I said "OK."


my friend, Bianca

I told you I get side-tracked. Anyways, back to this time of year. I love October baseball. The Yanks are in the playoffs and they won game 1. Soon, it will get colder and hopefully the Bombers will still be playing so that I can wear my thick, navy blue Yankee jacket. My voice will get hoarse and the TV will be blaring.

I love this game. It's strategic, yet frustrating. Heart-wrenching, yet addicting. This is my first love and it will be my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment